The Map Inside: Connecticut Officials: 1955

This exhibit shows how the Connecticut official tourist map has changed since the 1930s. You can start with the introduction or browse year to year. The scans may not be actual size (150 dpi), but are consistent with each other.

Other years:
1930 1934 1935 1938 1941 1942 1943 1949 1952 1955 1956 1957 1959
1960 1961 1963 1965 1971 1972 1975 1989 1998 2000 2001 2002

1955 map excerpt, main map

The only "dotted-line" highway on the 1955 map is the extension of the North Meadows Expressway to Route 75 in Windsor (the 1956 map shows it open to traffic). It might have been signed US 5A for a short while, but eventually became part of Interstate 91.

The US 5A shown here became state route 159 in 1968.

1955 map excerpt, city inset

Shown here is West Rock Park and surroundings in New Haven, site of the only underground highway tunnel in Connecticut. The tunnel graphic looks almost whimsical compared to the optimized, stylized artwork on most modern maps. The West Rock Tunnel, located on the Wilbur Cross Parkway, opened in 1949.