CT 153 History
In the 1920s, State Highway 153 followed today's Route 82.
The modern Route 153 was commissioned in 1932, with a symmetrically neighborly definition:
- Essex Road in Westbrook
- Westbrook Road in Essex, ending at the village of Centerbrook
This differs from today's Route 153, which instead follows Plains Road to end at Saybrook Road closer to downtown Essex. The change was made on Jan. 2, 1967, as a result of the opening of the new Route 9 freeway. Plains Road, former SR 605, became part of Route 153. The old Route 153 segment along Westbrook Road became today's SR 604.