CT 207 History
Route 207 was commissioned in 1932, and has seen a few changes to its alignment:
- Original: Route 87 in Franklin to the Norwich city line on High Street in Sprague. High Street parallels Main Street (Route 97) in Sprague; routes 207 and 97 did not intersect, but came close (see map scan, below).
- Circa 1935: extended westward to Route 85.
- 1961: a portion in Franklin, from 0.75 mile east of Route 32 to 0.12 mile west of the town line with Sprague, was significantly realigned and built with a shallower grade, by use of extensive cuts and fills. The project began March 2 and finished December 11, at a cost of $555,000.
- 1962: The High Street portion was returned to the town; and Route 207 replaced a block of West Main Street (former SR 422) to end at Route 97.
Until 1962, Route 207 officially never made it as far as Route 97; instead, it ran parallel for a while, ending at the Norwich town line. This is a USGS 1946 map scan from University of New Hampshire, Dimond Library, Documents Department and Data Center.