CT 168 History
In the 1920s, State Highway 168 followed today's Route 87.
The original Route 168, commissioned in 1932, connected US 5 and Route 15 (now Route 17) using Clintonville Road, which is now part of Route 22. There are two older sections of the route, no longer on the state highway system:
- Clintonville Lane, bypassed between 1954 and 1970; this eliminated a dogleg on Mill Road for Route 22
- Old Clintonville Road, bypassed between 1940 and 1954, to straighten the road in a similar manner.
In 1951, Route 168 became part of a new Route 22, to help guide motorists from the Wilbur Cross Parkway to US 1.
The modern Route 168 was originally part of Route 190, which extended west to US 202/MA 10. The western part of Route 190 was changed to 168 in 1977, to avoid conflicts between state route 190 and Interstate 190 in Massachusetts.