From 1932 to 1935, Route 58A was the number for Coal Pit Hill Road in Danbury and Mansfield Street in Bethel. At that time, Route 58 followed today's Route 53 into downtown Danbury.
In 1935, US 202 was commissioned, replacing the Danbury part of Route 58. Route 58A became US 202A.
On May 1, 1974, US 202 was moved northward to its current alignment, and US 202A became unsigned route SR 842.
In 1981, SR 842 was removed from the state highway system.