CT 309 History
A portion of today's Route 309 – Westledge Road and Farms Village Road from Woodchuck Hill Road to Route 167 has been in the state highway system since 1932 or so, as unsigned SR 909.
In 1960, the state Committee to Reclassify All Public Roads recommended including North Canton Road and West Simsbury Road into the state highway system, completing a connection to Route 179. In 1962, the state extended SR 909 to Route 179. In 1963, the state promoted SR 909 to state route 309.
In 1966, the state cited an "urgent need" to realign about a mile of Route 309, from Stratton Brook to Hop Brook (Roughly Mountain Road to Route 167). It appears that this was never done, though some minor work was done near the high school at the east end of Route 309 in 1970.