CT 75 History
The original highway through Windsor, Poquonock and Suffield was created in the early 1920s. State Highway 110 ran along parts of today's routes 159 and 75. Starting in Hartford, it followed Main Street north to Windsor Center; Poquonock Avenue into Windsor Locks and Suffield; and then Mapleton Avenue, northeast and then north across the state line.
When state roads were renumbered in 1932, SH 110 was split up among US 5A (today's Route 159), and Route 75, which included today's route from Windsor to Suffield, and the Mapleton Avenue route back to US 5A. Route 75 began and ended at US 5A, for a length of 13.35 miles. The portion later to become part of Route 75 – North Street in Suffield – was designated SR 901.
In 1950, Route 75 was relocated from Mapleton Avenue to North Street, and extended into Massachusetts. SR 901 was replaced; the Mapleton Avenue segment became SR 902. In 1951, SR 902 was turned over to the town.
The state was proposing a new connector between Route 75 and Route 159 in Suffield to reduce traffic congestion in town. The bypass would start about half a mile south of the intersection of Austin Street and Route 75 (Main St) and join Route 159 (East St) about 1/5 mile south of Boston Neck Road. (Hartford Courant, 10/8/95)
In January 2001, a segment from Austin Street in Suffield to the Massachusetts border was submitted to the Connecticut Scenic Road Advisory Committee. In March 2001, the committee determined that Route 75 near Austin Street did not meet the criteria, but approved the segment north of Stony Bridge Brook.